Monday, November 14, 2011

Freshman 15

I have been a first semester freshman at Middle Tennessee State University for three months now. Prior to coming to here, I always heard about college freshman gaining at least fifteen pounds after their first year or semester. Freshman fifteen is not a disease. It is a period in teenagers’ life when they become more responsible about their health and eating habits. Statistics say that girls are more vulnerable to the weight gain. It is said that the weight gain is mainly from the severe lifestyle change with the lack of exercise, eating late, unhealthy snacks, and eating unhealthy cafeteria food. So far I have been doing all of these things. I am not on any type of diet so I eat anything. I have only been to the gym maybe five times. I am often eating pass ten o’clock at night. My snacks usually consist of chips, honey buns, candy, juices, and drinks. Now that I no longer have any flex bucks left, I have to eat cafeteria food. They often serve things that I do not eat, so I end up getting a burger and fries. Not only do I eat unhealthy cafeteria, but I usually only eat one or two meals a day. Another thing that deals with weight gain for college freshman is stress. Freshmen tend to be over taken by the work load of things that college has to offer. I was not surprised when I weighed myself this past Friday. So far I have not gained any weight this first semester and do not plan on gaining any weight next semester.
Next semester, I plan on making some major changes in my eating habits to prevent the expected weight gain for freshman. Since the freshman fifteen is now being replaced with twenty to twenty-five pounds weight gain. I will eat well balanced meals by following the food guide pyramid. I will drink less drinks and more water. Instead of eating burgers from the cafeteria, I will eat salads. I will eat more fruits and healthy snacks. Exercise is an important part of every healthy person’s life. I will go to the gym more and on a consistent basis. I will try to not eat any heavy foods after ten o’clock. I will eat more in proportions, watch my calorie intake, and eat less fast food. I refuse to gain any weight so I am determined to make changes quickly. It is so easy to eat unhealthy at college and if one does not pay attention to what they are eating, it will have an effect of gaining weight. I want to get these bad habits under control before I become a part of the statistics. It is only one month left in this semester, so after Christmas break will be the beginning of these changes. This will be a challenge for me to stay fit, even though I am not active. This will all be possible with common sense, self-control, and self-discipline.


No comments:

Post a Comment