Monday, September 19, 2011

From my room to a dorm room

My summer of fun and work swiftly came to an end the last week in August. During that week, I said my goodbyes to family and friends and packed. It took me a whole week to pack everything that I would take with me. I had two suit cases, two big containers, plenty of snacks, and other minor things. My parents, two of my sisters, and I departed from my house at eight o’clock Saturday morning. The five of us traveled in a truck and a car to accommodate my things. We made a stop in Jackson to get breakfast at cracker barrel. We made one last stop at the gas station before reaching our destination at around two. I moved in on the second day that Middle Tennessee State University allowed students to move into their dorms
Once we found my dorm complex, we parked and went inside the main building. There, I had to fill out paper work before I could receive my dorm key. After which, we proceeded to remove the trunk full of things from the vehicles to my dorm. It did not take long to do so but it was tiring going up and down the flight of stairs caring heavy objects. Then there was the fairly simple process of unpacking and putting everything into its perspective place. This made it easy for us to see what else I needed, before they returned to Memphis. We made a list and went to the store to retrieve the items. When we completely had everything in place, we sat and talked for a while about my new living situation. I then walked them to the car and we said our goodbyes.
My roommate entered the room immediately after their departure. We introduced ourselves and got to know a little about one another. I learned that we were both majoring in biology, both freshman, and that she is from Nashville. From our conversation, I could tell that we would click and things would not be as awkward as I expected. I sat in my bed and thought about the fact that I would now have to share a room with a stranger that is smaller than my room at home. I would now have to consider the fact that I not in a room by myself.  I would now be doing things that I was not used to doing at home. At home I had a collection of tweety birds that I could not bring due to space. I would be sharing a closet, desk space, and a bathroom with seven strangers. I would now be sleeping on a twin sized bed, instead of a full size. I would no longer have to vacuum, but sweep. Being that I share a room, it would no longer be a place I can go to get away from others as I did at home. Overall moving from my room to a dorm room is an experience that takes some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment